How do I apply for a Hazmat endorsement in Texas? Texas

A HAZMAT CDL endorsement is necessary if you wish to use your Texas CDL to work in a position that involves transporting hazardous materials such as dynamite, gasoline, ammunition, propane, or display fireworks.

A CDL Class A, B, or C license does not allow for transporting hazardous materials unless you have this special endorsement on the commercial license. In fact, it is a crime for any CDL driver to operate a vehicle needing hazardous materials placards unless he or she has a HAZMAT endorsement.

HAZMAT Testing

Just as if you were getting any other kind of CDL, getting a CDL with a HAZMAT endorsement requires taking a special CDL test.

You can find CDL practice test questions for obtaining a Hazmat CDL endorsement in the commercial driver handbook published by the TX Department of Public Safety (DPS). There are also a number of third-party Web sites offering online CDL practice tests, if you feel like you need additional assistance mastering the material for the Hazmat test.

HAZMAT Background Checks

Your CDL test isn't the only one you'll have to pass. A background check is needed for a Hazmat endorsement as determined by the Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism (USA Patriot) Act. This federal law checks to see if you pose a potential security risk before allowing you to receive your CDL endorsement. You will need to be fingerprinted as part of this process.

HAZMAT Endorsement Fee

The standard fee to receive a Texas CDL is $60 for a six-year license. There is an additional $10 fee for the hazardous materials endorsement or any other endorsements you wish to add. Separate charges apply for the background check; contact your TX DPS office for details.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "How do I apply for a Hazmat endorsement in Texas?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

100% thumbs up 0% thumbs down (5 votes)

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

Continue (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on is not legal advice, is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.