How do I renew a GA CDL? Georgia

Renewing a CDL in Georgia

Each Georgia (GA) commercial drivers license (CDL) must be renewed with 30 days of expiration if you transport hazardous materials. Because it takes the federal Transportation Security Administration (TSA) 120 days to process hazardous materials CDL renewal applications, renew your commercial license as soon as possible.

GA CDLs are good for five years.  Within 60-90 days of the expiration date on your CDL class license, the GA Department of Driver Services (DDS) will send you a license renewal form.

To renew your GA CDL:

  1. Review personal information listed on your license (i.e. name, address).
  2. Renew personal information as needed.
  3. Pay the $20 license renewal fee in person at a local DDS office or by mail using a credit card, check, or money order.
  4. Pass a vision screening (minimum vision required is 20/40 in each eye).
  5. Take and pass a road test as required (if you need to take a road test, the mandate will be listed on your CDL renewal form).

Reasons for No Georgia Commercial Driver Licenses Renewal

You will not be permitted to renew your GA CDL if you:
  • Fail to pass the CDL test vision screening.
  • Fail required medical examinations (commercial drivers who operate local, state, or federal vehicles are exempt from taking the medical examination).
  • Your license is suspended or revoked.
CDL practice test for driving and CDL practice written examinations are not required if you renew your license before it expires.

Dial (866) 754-3687 should you have questions about your CDL license renewal. You should also dial this telephone number if you do not receive your CDL driver license renewal form within 60 days of the license expiration date.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "How do I renew a GA CDL?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

No users have voted.

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

Continue (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on is not legal advice, is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.