How do I apply for a CDL endorsement in New York? New York
NY CDL EndorsementsA CDL driver in New York can apply for the following endorsements:
- H: Hazardous Materials
- N: Tank Vehicles
- P: Passenger Transport
- S: School Bus
- T: Doubles/Triples
- X: Tank/Hazmat
Applying for a CDL EndorsementFirst, to qualify for an endorsement, you must own a commercial license. If you meet this qualification, you then must meet the following requirements for the endorsement you're pursuing:
- Doubles and Triples (T endorsement): You must pass a knowledge test and own a Class A commercial license. Study sections 2 and 5-7 of the New York CDL manual.
- Tank Vehicles (N endorsement): You must pass a knowledge test and, depending on your "liquid cargo," own a CDL Class A, B, or C. Study sections 2, 5, 6, 8, and 9 of the manual.
- Passenger (P endorsement): You must pass a knowledge test and a skills test. Depending on vehicle size, you may also be required to apply for a "S" endorsement (school bus). Study sections 4 and 10 of the manual.
- School Bus (S endorsement): You must pass knowledge test and a skills test. You'll also need to add a passenger endorsement (P). Study sections 4 and 10 of the manual.
- Hazardous Materials (H endorsement): You must pass knowledge test and a background check. Study section 9 of the manual.
To study for your respective CDL test you'll need New York's CDL manual. You can get a copy from any NY DMV office, or you can download it from the DMV's Web site. After studying, gauge your knowledge with some CDL practice questions and a CDL practice test. These can be found online and are usually for free.
When you're ready to test for your endorsement, visit any DMV office to take the written exam. If your endorsement also requires a skills test, you'll need to make an appointment, but before pinning down a date you must first pay a $40 test fee. You can do this online, in person, or by phone at (518) 402-2100.
Post Comment for "How do I apply for a CDL endorsement in New York?"
To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.
How would you rate this answer?
Thank you for rating this answer.