How do I renew a Hazmat CDL endorsement in NY? New York

CDL Practice Makes for a CDL Driver With CDL Class

You will more than likely receive a HAZMAT endorsement renewal notice separate from your CDL renewal form. This is because a commercial license is valid for eight years, while a hazardous materials endorsement is valid for five. 

If you did not pass a HAZMAT test in the last two years, you will have to take the exam. To prepare, study New York's CDL manual. This handy tome of information can be obtained from any NY DMV office or downloaded from the DMV's Web site. You'll next want to take a CDL practice test. This can be found online from a long list of sites.

When you feel certain of passing the CDL test, visit any DMV office and pay a $5 test fee (no appointment needed). If you fail, you can retake the exam, on the spot, but only after paying another $5. Without passing the exam you cannot qualify for a background check. 

To apply for the HAZMAT background check, you must:

  • Visit any DMV office with a completed Application for Hazardous Materials Endorsement (Form HAZ-44).  
  • Pay the background check fee of $140.75 with cash or a check, money order, or credit card (Discover, American Express, Visa, MasterCard).
  • Hang on to the FS-6T receipt you'll receive after paying the fee. You will need it for when you get fingerprinted. If the DMV office you're applying at cannot do fingerprinting, you'll need to visit a New York state police office listed on form SP-1. Your fingerprints will be done electronically. 

If your background check passes, the DMV will mail you an updated Hazmat CDL.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "How do I renew a Hazmat CDL endorsement in NY?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

No users have voted.

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

Continue (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on is not legal advice, is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.