How do I apply for a Hazmat endorsement in North Carolina? North Carolina
HAZMAT Endorsement Requirements
To get a HAZMAT endorsement for your commercial license in NC, you must:
- Have a regular CDL in the appropriate CDL class for the vehicle you’ll be driving.
- Pass a hazardous materials endorsement test at the NC DMV office.
- Pass a Transportation Security Authority (TSA) background check. This is a federal requirement and part of the Patriot Act.
Applying with the TSA
To begin your background check to get a HAZMAT CDL, apply online at the TSA website or call to meet with an agent.
You will need:
- Your CDL driver number.
- Proof of legal presence.
- Proof of identity.
Allow about 30 days for the TSA to finish its processing. This background check is good for five years, at which time you must reapply; however, if you fail the background check, you may appeal any negative decisions by requesting another review or a hearing.
The $89.25 to the TSA covers:
- FBI Fee of $17.25: Criminal history check.
- Threat Assessment Fee of $34: Background check in multiple databases.
- Information Collection Fee of $32: Fingerprints and collecting information.
You may have to pay $32 directly to the fingerprint office; bring a money order for this, as they don’t take cash, checks, or credit cars.
Additionally, North Carolina requires you to apply for a HAZMAT endorsement, which appears as an H (HAZMAT only) or X (HAZMAT or HAZMAT tanks) on the CDL. To get this, you have to take a HAZMAT test at a NC DMV office. Every CDL driver who wants to get a HAZMAT endorsement must take this test, even if you already have a CDL.
The information you need to pass the test is in the Commercial Handbook. Study this and then take at least one CDL practice test. Unfortunately, the DMV does not provide CDL practice exams. Thus, you have to pay $10 or $15 to get one online. These tests have the same material as the real test.
Post Comment for "How do I apply for a Hazmat endorsement in North Carolina?"
To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.
How would you rate this answer?
Thank you for rating this answer.