Can I get my New Jersey license plates reassigned to another vehicle? New Jersey

Transferring Personalized, Vanity, and Regular License Plates

Yes, you can reassign NJ license plates to another vehicle, provided you own it (this applies to regular license plates as well as personalized plates and vanity plates). The same name needs to be used on both registrations and the registration code needs to be the same. In other words, you cannot transfer a historic license plate onto a 1998 Honda Element, or car plates onto a motorcycle.

Upon transferring, you will have to notify the MVC by registering the vehicle that received the old license plates. When doing so, provide proof of ownership and car insurance, and have cash or a check or credit card to pay all applicable fees including a $4.50 transfer fee and a prorated weight class registration fee. 

If you sell the vehicle and do not transfer the license plates, you must surrender them to the New Jersey MVC.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "Can I get my New Jersey license plates reassigned to another vehicle?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

100% thumbs up 0% thumbs down (2 votes)

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

Continue (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on is not legal advice, is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.