How do I apply for a Hazmat endorsement in Pennsylvania? Pennsylvania

Adding HAZMAT to Your Current CDL Class

If you're looking to upgrade your commercial license with a hazardous materials endorsement, here is what you need to do step-by-step: 

  1. Complete a Commercial Learner's Permit application (Form DL-31CD). Every CDL driver can download this from the PennDOT website.
  2. Write a check or money order payable to "PennDOT" for $88 (or $42.50 if you're 65 or older and applying for a two-year license).
  3. Drop off application and check to any PA Driver License Center. Or, if you prefer, mail it all to: PennDOT, P.O. Box 68272, Harrisburg, PA, 17106-8272.
  4. After your application has been processed (usually within 10 days), you'll receive a Knowledge Test Authorization in the mail.
  5. Pass a HAZMAT Knowledge Test. This CDL test consists of 30 questions, all based on information found in section nine of the Pennsylvania CDL manual. You can grab a manual, for free, from any PennDOT location, or download one from the PennDOT website. Use the manual to gain some CDL practice, and take a CDL practice test or two to prepare for the real thing.
  6. After passing the HAZMAT test, apply for a Federal Security Threat Assessment. This requires: providing proof of U.S. citizenship or appropriate immigrant status; completing a Security Threat Assessment Application; and paying a $60 fee for fingerprinting and application processing.
  7. After being issued a Fingerprint Authorization (FPA) letter, you must visit a Pennsylvania State Police fingerprint location. Be sure to bring your FPA letter and Pennsylvania drivers license.
  8. If you pass the background check you'll receive a camera card or photo CDL. This will serve as proof of your HAZMAT CDL. 

Unless you applied for a two-year HAZMAT endorsement, you will need to renew every four years.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "How do I apply for a Hazmat endorsement in Pennsylvania?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

No users have voted.

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

Continue (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on is not legal advice, is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.