How do I apply for a Hazmat endorsement in Pennsylvania? Pennsylvania
Adding HAZMAT to Your Current CDL ClassIf you're looking to upgrade your commercial license with a hazardous materials endorsement, here is what you need to do step-by-step:
- Complete a Commercial Learner's Permit application (Form DL-31CD). Every CDL driver can download this from the PennDOT website.
- Write a check or money order payable to "PennDOT" for $88 (or $42.50 if you're 65 or older and applying for a two-year license).
- Drop off application and check to any PA Driver License Center. Or, if you prefer, mail it all to: PennDOT, P.O. Box 68272, Harrisburg, PA, 17106-8272.
- After your application has been processed (usually within 10 days), you'll receive a Knowledge Test Authorization in the mail.
- Pass a HAZMAT Knowledge Test. This CDL test consists of 30 questions, all based on information found in section nine of the Pennsylvania CDL manual. You can grab a manual, for free, from any PennDOT location, or download one from the PennDOT website. Use the manual to gain some CDL practice, and take a CDL practice test or two to prepare for the real thing.
- After passing the HAZMAT test, apply for a Federal Security Threat Assessment. This requires: providing proof of U.S. citizenship or appropriate immigrant status; completing a Security Threat Assessment Application; and paying a $60 fee for fingerprinting and application processing.
- After being issued a Fingerprint Authorization (FPA) letter, you must visit a Pennsylvania State Police fingerprint location. Be sure to bring your FPA letter and Pennsylvania drivers license.
- If you pass the background check you'll receive a camera card or photo CDL. This will serve as proof of your HAZMAT CDL.
Unless you applied for a two-year HAZMAT endorsement, you will need to renew every four years.
Post Comment for "How do I apply for a Hazmat endorsement in Pennsylvania?"
To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.
How would you rate this answer?
Thank you for rating this answer.