Which states offer an enhanced drivers license or EDL?

Enhanced Drivers License

The only states that currently offer an enhanced drivers license (EDL) are:

  • Michigan
  • New York
  • Washington
  • Vermont
States considering implementing an EDL include:

  • Arizona
  • Idaho
  • Maine
  • Minnesota
  • New Hampshire
  • New Mexico
  • North Dakota
  • Texas

EDLs, not surprisingly, are popular with states bordering Canada and Mexico. An EDL serves as a driver license and as a pseudo passport. A driver in Vermont holding an EDL, for example, can cross into Canada without needing additional identification; if the driver carried a regular drivers license, he or she would need to produce a passport in order to cross. 

You must apply with your state's DMV to obtain an EDL. The fee is higher than a regular driver license, but less than a passport. 

Keep in mind that an EDL only works for ground travel by car, train, or boat. Air travelers flying into Mexico, Canada, or participating Caribbean countries must still provide passports. 

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "Which states offer an enhanced drivers license or EDL?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

100% thumbs up 0% thumbs down (4 votes)

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

DMVAnswers.com (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. DMVAnswers.com does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on DMVAnswers.com is not legal advice, DMVAnswers.com is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.