Where can I obtain a handicap hangtag or placard?

Handicapped Placard for Drivers With Disabilities

If you're a permanently or temporarily disabled driver, visit your local DMV office to apply for a handicap parking placard or a handicap hangtag.

More than likely you'll be required to jointly complete an application with your physician, and this form is usually available for downloaded from your DMV's website. Depending on your physician's recommendation, your handicap placard or hangtag may be temporary (six months) or permanent (usually four years).

Placards and hangtags are universal. This means a handicap hangtag registered in Rhode Island, for example, will be recognized in every other state and most other countries.

NOTE: Handicap placards and hangtags will allow you to park in any space clearly designated for the disabled, unless the space is marked "Blue Placard Parking Only." A blue placard designates a permanent disability, while a red placard designates a temporary disability.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "Where can I obtain a handicap hangtag or placard?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

40% thumbs up 60% thumbs down (20 votes)

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

DMVAnswers.com (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. DMVAnswers.com does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on DMVAnswers.com is not legal advice, DMVAnswers.com is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.