How can I make a ticket payment?

Your options depend on your state.

Some states – like Alabama, California (certain counties), and Virginia – allow you to pay traffic tickets and parking tickets online.

Others want you to show up in person, and the establishment you’ll need to visit will rely heavily on where and from whom you received the citation. For example, in West Virginia, if a state trooper or county deputy writes you a ticket you must make the ticket payment in magistrate court. If a city police officer is the one to cite you, you generally have to pay it in city court.

Plenty of states allow you to send your ticket payment through the mail. Vermont, for example, accepts payments sent to the Vermont Judicial Bureau, and Kentucky allows you to send payment to the Circuit Court Clerk’s office of the county in which you were cited.

Of course, there are those states – like Texas – that don’t have a statewide system for paying tickets. How you’re required to pay depends entirely on the town, city, or county in which you received the citation.

Attending Traffic School

Keep in mind that, depending on your state and the nature of your citation, traffic school can play one of two roles when you get a ticket: A means of reducing or avoiding ticket payment, or a requirement. You can find out whether traffic school is an option or requirement for you when you appear in court, or when you contact your local DMV or state drivers license agency.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "How can I make a ticket payment?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

0% thumbs up 100% thumbs down (2 votes)

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

Continue (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on is not legal advice, is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.