What are the different Pennsylvania commercial licenses by CDL Class? Pennsylvania

Pennsylvania CDL Driver Classes

Before applying for a Pennsylvania commercial license you must first decide on a CDL class. These are based on the following criteria:

  • Class A: Any combination of vehicles with a Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) of 26,001 or more pounds, provided the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of the vehicle or vehicles being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds. You must be at least 18 years old.
  • Class B: Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds, or any such vehicle towing a vehicle having a GVWR of not more than 10,000 pounds. You must be at least 18 years old.
  • Class C: Any single vehicle with a GVWR of not more than 26,000 pounds or any combination of vehicles, except combination vehicles involving motorcycles, that does not meet the definition of a Class A or a Class B vehicle.
NOTE: Keep in mind that in order to drive interstate or own a hazardous materials endorsement, you must be at least 21 years old.

Preparing for the CDL Test

To obtain a specific CDL class and/or endorsement, you will have to pass all required tests. At the bare minimum, this requires passing a general knowledge test and a road test.

You'll need a PA CDL manual to study for the tests. You can obtain a copy, for free, from any PennDOT location. After studying, you'll next want to take a CDL practice test. You can find these CDL practice exams online, and take as many tests as needed until you feel exam-confident.

No appointment is needed for the knowledge test, but you will need one for the driving test. You can arrange a test date online or by calling (800) 932-4600.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "What are the different Pennsylvania commercial licenses by CDL Class?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

100% thumbs up 0% thumbs down (1 vote)

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

DMVAnswers.com (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. DMVAnswers.com does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on DMVAnswers.com is not legal advice, DMVAnswers.com is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.