Last Updated 8th of May, 2010
How do I apply for a motorcycle permit in Georgia? Georgia
Obtaining a Georgia Motorcycle PermitA motorcycle permit in Georgia is optional. You can still apply for a motorcycle license without the permit.
If you choose to obtain a permit, however, you need to visit your local GA DDS office (the same office that handles all driver license services) and be prepared to:
- Provide proof of completing a DDS-approved driver training program if you're 16. It must be a traditional drivers ed course, and not a motorcycle safety course.
- Provide parental consent and a Certificate of Attendance (Form DS-1) if you’re younger than 18 years old.
- Provide proper identification, including your Social Security card.
- Complete motorcycle permit/license application.
- Pass a vision test and a written motorcycle knowledge test. (See below for more information about the knowledge and skills tests.)
- Pay a $10 motorcycle permit fee with cash or a check, money order, or credit card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express).
- No passengers.
- No riding on limited access roadways.
- No riding at night.
Motorcycle Test PreparationsTo study for the written knowledge test you’ll take for your motorcycle drivers permit, get hold of a Georgia motorcycle manual. You can get one, for free, from any DDS location, or save time and gas and download a copy from the DDS website. All of the questions are based only on information found in the manual.
After reading all about the safe and legal operation of motorcycles on GA roads, you'll next want to take a practice test. You can find these online from a variety of sites. All of the questions are similar to those found on the actual exam, giving you a heads up on what to expect.
With the permit, you're only one test away – the skills test – from obtaining a full motorcycle drivers license. For the skills test you will need to provide your own motorcycle that's registered and insured.
No visitor comments posted. Post a comment
Post Comment for "How do I apply for a motorcycle permit in Georgia?"
To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.
No users have voted.
How would you rate this answer?
Thank you for rating this answer.