Do I have to take a PA motorcycle safety course or drivers ed? Pennsylvania

The Pennsylvania Motorcycle Safety Program

No, it’s not a requirement to take a PA motorcycle safety course to get a motorcycle license, but it is a very strong suggestion. Motorcycling riding requires a different skill set than required for driving a car and, without that skill set, can be dangerous.

PennDOT offers the Pennsylvania Motorcycle Safety Program (PAMSP), which is a driver training course offering:

  • The Beginner Riders Course: 15 hours of class time and riding instruction on motorcycles (provided). Those who pass will be issued a motorcycle driver license (see note below), if they began with a permit.
  • The Experienced Riders Course: For the motorcycle rider with a motorcycle permit or with some experience. One day of instruction; at the end, you get the motorcycle license. You need your own motorcycle for this course.
NOTE: Passing one of these motorcycle driver training courses (typically the Beginner Riders Course) means you do not have to pass the skills or road portion of your motorcycle test. It’s waived, and you get your motorcycle license immediately.

Preparing for the Written Motorcycle Test

Whether or not you take one of these motorcycle drivers ed courses, you’ll have to pass the written motorcycle test to get a motorcycle permit. The written motorcycle test is not the same as the test to get a drivers license.

Study the motorcycle law manual, available from PennDOT, and then take a practice test or two based on the manual. You can purchase these from an online drivers ed course. You can also check the PennDOT website to see if they have a free test.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "Do I have to take a PA motorcycle safety course or drivers ed?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

No users have voted.

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

Continue (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on is not legal advice, is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.