How do I complete a motorcycle title transfer to change ownership in NC? North Carolina

North Carolina Motorcycles and Titles

A motorcycle title transfer is an easy process if you follow the exact requirements set by the North Carolina DMV. Those requirements will depend on whether you’re the seller or the buyer.

If You're the Motorcycle Seller

Follow these steps if you’re selling the motorcycle:

  1. Record the odometer reading on the title if the bike is fewer than 10 years old.
  2. Add the buyer's name and address on the title.
  3. Include the sale date on the title.
  4. Sign and hand print your name on the title and have it notarized.
  5. Complete a Damage Disclosure Statement (Form MVR-181) and have the buyer sign it.
To complete the title transfer, be sure to remove the license plate from the motorcycle. You can either transfer this to another motorcycle or, if not, surrender the plate to the DMV. Do not cancel your bike's insurance until after you surrender the license plate.

If You're the Motorcycle Buyer

You will need from the seller:

  • A signed-over title that includes the seller's printed name and signature, date of sale, an odometer reading if the motorcycle is fewer than 10 years old, and notarization.
  • A Damage Disclosure Statement (Form MVR-181) completed by the seller.
You'll then need to visit any NC DMV location to register and title the bike. Bring with you:

  • The motorcycle's title.
  • A completed and notarized Title Application (Form MVR-1).
  • A Damage Disclosure Statement (Form MVR-181).
  • Proof of passing a safety inspection.
  • Proof of insurance.
  • Cash or a check or money order to pay $18 registration fee and $40 title fee.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "How do I complete a motorcycle title transfer to change ownership in NC?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

100% thumbs up 0% thumbs down (1 vote)

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

Continue (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on is not legal advice, is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.