How do I obtain motorcycle license plates in Pennsylvania? Pennsylvania

Obtaining PA Motorcycle License Plates

Typically, you’ll get your motorcycle license plate during the motorcycle registration process. However, Pennsylvania’s Bureau of Motor Vehicles issues motorcycle license plates to motorcycle dealers.
If you purchase a new or used motorcycle from a licensed automobile dealer in Pennsylvania (PA), the dealer will direct you to complete Form MV-1 when you purchase the motorcycle. It is the dealer’s responsibility to submit the completed and signed form to the PA Bureau of Motor Vehicles so that the license plate will be registered in your name.

Obtaining a Replacement Motorcycle License Plate

If you misplace your license plate and need to get a replacement plate so that you can resume your motorcycle riding, you must:

  1. Complete PA motor vehicles Form MV-44.
  2. Check the second option listed on the form “Replacement of registration plate.”
  3. Provide your name, mailing address, and birth date.
  4. Include your motorcycle’s title and registration plate numbers.
  5. Fill in your motorcycle’s vehicle identification number (VIN).
The fee for replacement license plates for motorcycles is $4.50. Submit payment online using a credit card at the same time that you submit your completed form. If you mail your Form MV-44 into PennDOT, include a check, written out to “Commonwealth of Pennsylvania” with your signed form.

To keep your motorcycle riding legal, be sure to replace your license plate as soon as possible.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "How do I obtain motorcycle license plates in Pennsylvania?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

No users have voted.

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

Continue (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on is not legal advice, is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.