Last Updated 20th of May, 2010
How do I renew a state ID card in California? California
Renewing Your California ID CardA California identification card expires every six years, or every 10 years if you’re age 62 or older.
Unfortunately, you can’t renew a state ID card online or by mail; you must renew in person. So, it’s better to renew on time before you have an expired ID.
To renew your CA ID Card, follow these steps:
- Make an appointment at a CA DMV office; this is not required but is highly recommended so you don’t have to wait.
- Get and complete Form DL 44 at the DMV.
- If you’re a teen, bring both parents to sign the form (you may also get it ahead of time and have them sign). Teens with divorced parents must have both their signatures if they have joint custody.
- Get your picture taken.
- Provide a thumbprint.
- Make sure your address is current and correct.
- Pay the $26 renew ID fee. (It’s free for seniors and reduced to $7 for those on public assistance).
No visitor comments posted. Post a comment
Post Comment for "How do I renew a state ID card in California?"
To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.
75% 25% (4 votes)
How would you rate this answer?
Thank you for rating this answer.