How do I renew a state ID card in Texas? Texas

Renewing Your Texas Identification Card

An expired ID will not be valid as photo identification, so you'll want to make sure you renew your ID card in a timely manner. The expiration of your Texas ID card depends on several different factors:

  • If you are older than 60, your Texas ID has no expiration date and thus does not need to be renewed.
  • If you are younger than 60, you will need to renew your Texas ID every six years. This applies to teens and children, too. There is a $16 fee to renew ID cards.
  • If you are required to complete Texas sex offender registration (Chapter 62, CCP), your identification card must be renewed annually. The fee is $21.
You can complete the renewal process at your local TX driver license office. If your card has not been expired for more than two years and you completed your last renewal in person, you may also choose to complete the renewal process online. (Of course, if you’re a teen of a certain age, you might be ready to start the drivers license process.)

Fixing State ID Card Problems

There is 30-day processing time for drivers license and identification card transactions, so please do not contact the TX Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) before this point about cards that are missing. If your state ID has not arrived in 30 days, call (512) 424-2600 for assistance.

Although the TX DMV aims to provide accurate ID cards, mistakes do sometimes occur. If you receive your card and there is an error, you can call (512) 424-2600 or visit any Texas driver license office to have it corrected. You will need to provide documentation proving the information on the card is not accurate.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "How do I renew a state ID card in Texas?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

66% thumbs up 33% thumbs down (3 votes)

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

Continue (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on is not legal advice, is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.