How do I replace a TX ID card? Texas

Replacing Your Texas Identification Card

Children, teens, and adults must have a valid form of photo identification for a variety of tasks such as voting, writing checks, or applying for government assistance. Therefore, it's important to replace a lost Texas ID card as soon as possible.

To replace a state ID, you must visit a driver license office with proof of your identity and the $11 duplicate ID fee.

Identity Theft Concerns

Whenever your personal information is compromised, you are at risk for identity theft. This could include someone using your name to open phony bank accounts, obtain employment, or to avoid prosecution for a criminal offense. Identity theft can occur regardless of age; even a teen is vulnerable to this crime.

If you have reason to believe your Texas ID was stolen, it's a good idea to file a police report. You will need to bring a copy of the police report to the driver license office if you wish to have your replacement identification card issued with a new number. Otherwise, you'll receive a duplicate card with the same information as your lost ID.

Updates Due to Name and Address Changes

You are required to notify the TX Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) office within 30 days of a change in your name or address.

You can complete address changes online, but you must visit a driver license office in person in order to request a name change. Remember to bring a copy of your marriage certificatory, divorce degree, or other documentation supporting the name change.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "How do I replace a TX ID card?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

66% thumbs up 33% thumbs down (3 votes)

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

Continue (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on is not legal advice, is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.