Last Updated 22nd of May, 2010
How do I renew a state ID card in New York? New York
Renewing Your New York Identification CardThe DMV will mail you a renewal "invitation" before you end up with an expired ID. The ID card renewal invitation will instruct you on whether you can renew in person, online, or by mail.
NOTE: Teens younger than 16 need parental consent to obtain ID. If you're a teen who was younger than 16 when you first applied for a state ID, but are now 16 or older, you will not need parental consent.
Visit any NY DMV office with the following:
- Either a completed renewal invitation or a completed Application for Driver License or Non-Driver ID Card (Form MV-44).
- Either your Social Security card or proof that you're not eligible for a Social Security card.
- Cash or a check, money order, or credit card (Visa, Discover, American Express, MasterCard) to pay the renewal fee (see fees below).
You cannot use this option if you recently moved and failed to notify the DMV of your new mailing address.
You can find the online renewal application at the DMV website. Have at the ready:
- Your client identification number, found on your ID card.
- A credit card (American Express, Visa, Discover, MasterCard) to pay the renewal fee (see fees below).
- Pen and paper, or a printer to record your confirmation number.
Complete the renewal invitation and mail it, along with a check or money order made payable to "Commissioner of Motor Vehicles," to:
DMV License Production Bureau
P.O. Box 2688-ESP
Albany, NY 12220-0668
Your new ID should arrive in the mail within about two weeks.
Renew ID Fees
- Four-year identification card: $9
- Eight-year identification card: $13
- 10-year identification card for someone who is either 62 years old or older OR receives Supplemental Security Income (SSI): $6.50
- 10-year identification card for someone who is 62 years old or older AND receives SSI: Free
No visitor comments posted. Post a comment
Post Comment for "How do I renew a state ID card in New York?"
To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.
100% 0% (1 vote)
How would you rate this answer?
Thank you for rating this answer.