How do I replace a NY ID card? New York

Replacing Your New York Identification Card

If your state ID goes missing the NY DMV makes it easy to replace regardless if you're a teen or a retiree. You have two options for ordering a duplicate ID: in person and by mail.

NOTE: Teens younger than 16 need parental consent to obtain an ID card. If you’re younger than 16 and need a duplicate card, contact your nearest NY DMV to find out if you’ll also need parental consent for the replacement.

In Person

Visit any DMV office with the following:

  • A completed Application for Driver License or Non-Driver ID Card (Form MV-44). This form can be downloaded from the DMV website or from any DMV office.
  • Six points worth of identification. New York assigns points to various forms of ID. A car title, for example, is worth two points, while a Certificate of Naturalization is worth three.
  • Cash or a check, money order, or credit card (MasterCard, American Express, Visa, Discover) to pay the lost ID fee (see fees below).


You'll need to gather the following:

  • A completed Application for Driver License or Non-Driver ID Card (Form MV-44).
  • Proper identification as explained on Form MV-44.1.
  • A check or money order made payable to "Commissioner of Motor Vehicles" to pay duplicate ID fee (see fees below).
And mail it to:

DMV License Production Bureau
P.O. Box 2688-ESP
Albany, NY 12220-0668

Your duplicate card should arrive in the mail within two weeks.

Replacement ID Card Fees

  • Four- or eight-year ID card: $8
  • 10-year ID card: $6.60
  • 10-year ID card if you're 62 or older and receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI): Free

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "How do I replace a NY ID card?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

0% thumbs up 100% thumbs down (1 vote)

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

Continue (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on is not legal advice, is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.