Last Updated 24th of May, 2010
How do I renew a state ID card in Illinois? Illinois
Renewing Your Illinois State ID CardThe Illinois Secretary of State (SOS) will mail you a renewal notice about two to three months prior to the expiration date of your ID card.
Unlike a drivers license there is no identification card mandate. Owning state ID is voluntary. It's a handy card to own, especially if you're a teen without a drivers license. Because with an Illinois ID card you can register to vote, apply for a passport, cash checks, and meet airport ID requirements; however, there is no penalty for having expired ID. It just means you no longer have valid identification.
If you decide to renew ID, visit any drivers service facility (you cannot renew online) and have with you:
- Your current identification card. If you don't have your ID card, bring proper identification.
- Cash or a check, money order, or credit card to pay the state ID fee (see fees below).
IL Identification Card Fees
- Children and teens younger than 18 for the Under 65 ID Card: $10
- 18 or Older for the Under 65 ID Card: $20
- Senior ID Card: Free
- Handicapped ID Card: Free
No visitor comments posted. Post a comment
Post Comment for "How do I renew a state ID card in Illinois?"
To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.
100% 0% (8 votes)
How would you rate this answer?
Thank you for rating this answer.