Last Updated 23rd of May, 2010
How do I apply for a Pennsylvania ID card? Pennsylvania
Applying for a Pennsylvania ID CardPennsylvania (PA) residents can apply for a photo identification card after they turn 10 years old. The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) issues the state identification (ID) card.
Although teens and adults use the ID card at movie theaters, airports, and on job applications to prove their age, the state ID card is not a drivers license.
Also, teens younger than 18 need to get their parents or guardians to accompany them to a PennDOT service center before PennDOT will issue them the ID.
To apply for a PA ID card, visit the nearest PennDOT service center and follow the below steps:
- Complete Form 54-A. Fill in your first and last name, date of birth, street mailing address, and telephone number. You will also need to provide your Social Security number and eye color.
- Check the corresponding boxes on Form 54-A that apply to your situation. For example, if you surrendered your drivers license for health reasons and you want the ID card to serve as your main form of ID, check the first box in section two on Form 54-A.
- Indicate whether or not you want to be an organ donor
- Sign the form and submit it to the PennDOT agent. (Remember, if you are a teen, your parent or guardian will also have to sign Form 54-A.)
Acceptable ID forms include:
- Social security card
- Official birth certificate
- Original marriage or divorce certificate
- United States passport
- Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) forms N-560, N-550, or N-570 for naturalized citizens
- W-2 forms
- Apartment or mortgage leases or documents
- Federal, state, or city tax return forms
- Original household utility bills (i.e. electric, water, gas)
As a tip, arrive to the PennDOT service center as soon as the center opens to avoid standing in long lines. PennDOT does not schedule appointments; the center operates on a first come, first serve basis. After your number is called to have your forms processed, it typically takes less than five minutes to have your photo taken and your ID card laminated.
No visitor comments posted. Post a comment
Post Comment for "How do I apply for a Pennsylvania ID card?"
To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.
No users have voted.
How would you rate this answer?
Thank you for rating this answer.