What paperwork do I need to replace a lost car title?

It depends entirely on the state where you live.  First check with the state agency that issues titles and registrations to see what you will need to replace a lost title. Plan on bringing official identification, such as a driver's license.

Some states, like California, only require that you ask for a Duplicate Title by filling out a short form and paying a fee.  Here, you must check off the reason you need a duplicate title, such as lost, stolen, mutilated, or not received.  No other paperwork is required, just paying a fee.

Other states, like Missouri, require you to go to a county Circuit Court and get them to order the Department of Revenue to give you a new title. 

Certain states, such as Alaska, require that you fill out a notarized affidavit form for a lost title before they’ll issue you a duplicate title.

Remember, before buying a car, always get a vehicle history report to see if the title is issued to the proper owner or is salvaged.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "What paperwork do I need to replace a lost car title?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

75% thumbs up 25% thumbs down (4 votes)

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

DMVAnswers.com (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. DMVAnswers.com does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on DMVAnswers.com is not legal advice, DMVAnswers.com is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.