What is the law for window tinting in MA? Massachusetts

Unlike with some states, the window tinting standards in Massachusetts are easy to remember.

MA Auto Tinting Limits

  • Front side windows: 35% visible light transmission (VLT)
  • Rear side windows: 35% VLT
  • Rear window: 35% VLT
You're permitted to have a six-inch car tint strip running along the top of the front windshield.

MA Window Tint Inspection

Keep in mind that your car needs to pass a safety inspection each year in order to renew your vehicle registration, and tinting is looked at during these inspections.

Breaking the MA Tinted Windows Law

Violating the tint law is considered a traffic offense, and you could face a fine - and possibly a license suspension.

For additional information regarding tint laws or other safety laws, call the RMV at (617) 351-4500 or (800) 858-3926.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "What is the law for window tinting in MA?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

No users have voted.

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

DMVAnswers.com (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. DMVAnswers.com does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on DMVAnswers.com is not legal advice, DMVAnswers.com is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.