When do I need to fill out a car gift form?

Each state adheres to different title transfer rules, including when gifting. Some states require submitting a completed car gift form, while others only require writing the word "Gift" on the title's designated price line or on a bill of sale. 

If you reside in a state that requires a gift form, you'll use it when, obviously, giving a car as a gift. This means no money was exchanged. A gift form will then protect the recipient from being charged a state sales tax. Gift forms can be downloaded from your state's DMV Web site, or picked up at any DMV office. 

Some states may also require submitting a gift form when donating a car. This in turn will, if applicable, help earn you a tax deduction. But be sure to check with your DMV for car donation requirements.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "When do I need to fill out a car gift form?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

No users have voted.

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

DMVAnswers.com (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. DMVAnswers.com does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on DMVAnswers.com is not legal advice, DMVAnswers.com is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.