Where can I find state-approved car seats?

Buying Car Seats

Many stores sell baby car seats, from big box retailers to small baby boutiques. You must be sure the child car seats meet all child restraint laws.

The National Highway Safety Administration (NHTSA) has a guide to car seat laws on its website. The suggestions are more conservative than any state’s safety laws. Here, you can look up which kind of car seat to buy that will be right for your child’s current age and weight. For example, infants weighing fewer than 20 pounds always need a rear-facing baby car seat.

Additionally, the NHTSA has put a rating on nearly every child safety seat on the market, so you can look up the one you’re thinking of purchasing to see how well it performed.

Once you’ve found a safe car seat for your child, you can then pick out things like which color to buy.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "Where can I find state-approved car seats?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

No users have voted.

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

DMVAnswers.com (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. DMVAnswers.com does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on DMVAnswers.com is not legal advice, DMVAnswers.com is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.