Last Updated 3rd of June, 2010
How do I apply for an auto dealers license in Georgia? Georgia
Obtaining an Auto Dealers License in GeorgiaThe state of Georgia differentiates between used car dealers and new car dealers. Dealers of new cars are considered franchises of the auto manufacturing companies and do not require a state-issued dealer license; however, dealers of used cars must be licensed by GA state.
Becoming a Used Car DealerIn order to obtain a state-issued dealer license, you must complete the following steps:
- Submit a completed license application to the GA State Board of Registration.
- Purchase a security bond from your insurance agent worth at least $20,000.
- Purchase business insurance, including - but not limited to - liability insurance. Liability insurance alone is not sufficient.
- Establish a business location able to meet zoning requirements.
- Take several photographs of your business location, including photos of the building and business sign.
- Obtain a listed phone number for your new business.
- Attend a dealers license seminar, given by a state-approved seminar provider.
- Submit two fingerprints and a processing fee of $24 to the Georgia Bureau of Investigations.
- Submit the $170 application fee to the Used Motor Vehicle Dealer Board.
Georgia State Board of Registration
Used Motor Vehicle Dealers & Used Motor Vehicle Parts Dealers
Used Motor Vehicle Dealers Division
P.O. Box 13446
Macon, GA 31208
Take note that the Used Motor Vehicle Dealers Division is a special sector of the GA MVD. In order to avoid confusion, Used Motor Vehicle Dealers Division should be spelled out - as opposed to abbreviated - whenever referred to.
Approval for Auto Sales
The majority of dealer applications are approved for car sales within three weeks of being received. A dealer license is valid for an average of two years, expiring on March 31 of evenly numbered years.
No visitor comments posted. Post a comment
Post Comment for "How do I apply for an auto dealers license in Georgia?"
To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.
No users have voted.
How would you rate this answer?
Thank you for rating this answer.