Last Updated 3rd of June, 2010
How do I apply for an auto dealers license in New York? New York
New York Auto Sales and Dealers LicenseWhether you plan on selling new cars or used cars, you must own a New York dealer license. To apply, here's what you'll need to do:
- Complete an Original Facility Application (Form VS-1). This six-page document can be downloaded from the NY DMV website. This application comes with full instructions, simplifying what may seem like an otherwise daunting task.
- Complete a Business Certificate of Assumed Name. You can grab this form from your county clerk.
- Complete a New York State Department of Tax and Finance DTF-17A Certificate of Authority. You can obtain this form from the NY Department of Tax and Finance or by calling (800) 698-2909.
- Complete a dealer bond application (Form VS-3). In conjunction with this document you must acquire a $50,000 surety bond if you're selling new cars, a $25,000 surety bond if you intend to sell more than 200 used retail or wholesale vehicles within a year, or a $10,000 surety bond if you intend to sell fewer than 200 used retail or wholesale vehicles within a year.
- Provide proof of worker's compensation insurance. Just like car insurance this must be purchased from an insurance carrier licensed to do business in New York.
- Complete a Statement of Ownership and/or Permission to Use Place of Business (Form VS-19).
- Make a photocopy of either your drivers license or military ID.
- Write a check covering your car dealer application fee ($37.50) and two-year auto dealers registration fee ($450).
- Send the payment along with all documents to:
P.O. Box 2700
Albany, NY 12220-0700
Other Car Dealers License RequirementsIn addition to the above paperwork, you'll also need to have a legitimate physical location with a permanent business sign. Within this location you'll need to prove there's adequate space for displaying vehicles and an adequate filing system for maintaining records of all car sales.
You will also need to show your business harbors all of following dealer forms:
- Retail Certificate of Sale
- Vehicle Registration and Title Application
- Odometer and Damage Disclosure Statement
- Notice of Lien
- Application for Duplicate Title
No visitor comments posted. Post a comment
Post Comment for "How do I apply for an auto dealers license in New York?"
To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.
100% 0% (2 votes)
How would you rate this answer?
Thank you for rating this answer.