Is a background check required to get a car dealers license?

In order to work as a car dealer, you must obtain a car dealers license in most states. Some states, such as California, include background checks as part of the application process.

Criminal Background Check

In most cases, a criminal check is included in the background check. While having a criminal record won’t necessarily disqualify you for licensure, convictions for theft, extortion, and particularly violent crimes aren’t usually tolerated.
Dealer License Requirements by State
The requirements for auto dealers are different in every state. In most cases, you can find detailed information regarding dealer licensure online. Just check your state’s DMV website (many have sections dedicated to information for would-be dealers) or contact your local DMV branch to ask how you can learn about application and fee requirements for a dealers license in your state.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "Is a background check required to get a car dealers license?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

No users have voted.

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

Continue (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on is not legal advice, is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.