How do you replace or renew a learners permit in Arizona? Arizona

Arizona (AZ) has two types of driving permits:

  • Instruction Permit (for drivers who are at least 15.5 years old) – The permit expires after 12 months. You can apply to receive a graduated driver license after you turn 16 years old you. You must have had your instruction permit for at least six months.
  • Operator Permit (for drivers who are at least 18 years old) – This drivers’ operator permit is good for 12 months. A licensed drive who is at least 21 years old must accompany you while you operate a motor vehicle.

Renewing or Replacing a Learner’s Permit in Arizona

It cost $2 to replace (get a duplicate) of your AZ driving instruction permit. You must pay $7 for the initial permit.

Visit the nearest motor vehicles testing center to replace or renew your driving instruction or learners’ permit. The AZ Motor Vehicles Division (MVD) website lists area testing centers, including their street address, telephone number and hours of operation. If you are younger than 18 years, bring your parents or legal guardians with you to the testing center.

Fill out the renewal or replacement application and provide two forms of identification (if at least one of the forms has your picture on it). You will need three forms of identification if none of the documents have your picture on them.  Acceptable forms of identification include:

  • Birth certificate
  • Official citizenship or naturalization documents
  • Social security card
  • United States military identification card
  • United States passport
  • Student identification card (must have your picture on it)
  • Employee identification card (must have your picture on it)
  • W-2 form

You do not have to retake the practice permit test or the actual written permit test to receive a replaced or renewed learners’ permit.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "How do you replace or renew a learners permit in Arizona?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

92% thumbs up 7% thumbs down (13 votes)

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

Continue (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on is not legal advice, is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.