What are the AR driving permit test requirements? Arkansas

Arkansas Driving Permit Test Requirements

Visit the nearest Office of Driver Services testing facility to apply to take the permit test. If you are younger than 18 years of age, bring your parents or legal guardians with you to the testing facility. Your parents or legal guardians are required to sign a consent form to grant their approval for you to drive a motor vehicle in Arkansas (AR).

Required Documents

Provide proof of identity that confirms your age and residence to the clerk at the driver services office. Acceptable forms of identity to receive your learners permit or drivers permit include:

  • Arkansas photo identification card (i.e. government employee identification card)
  • Birth certificate
  • United States Passport
  • Military identification card
  • Official naturalization or certificate of citizenship papers
  • Social security card
  • School identification card
If you are younger than 18, you’ll also need to contact your school administration office to get a form that confirms that you are a student attending a secondary school if you are younger than 18 years of age. A grade point average of 2.0 or higher is required before the state will issue you a permit.

During non-school periods, call the Arkansas Education Department at (501) 371-2696 to request a copy of the form. Students who are home schooled should call (501) 682-1874. High school graduates should bring their high school diplomas with them to the testing center.

Vision Requirements

Vision of 20/50 or better in one or both eyes is required before you receive a driving permit in Arkansas. Wear your prescription eyeglasses or contact lenses if needed. Should you need to wear corrective lenses to pass the vision screening, you are required to wear the lenses at all times while you operate a motor vehicle in the state.

Test Preparation

Prior to taking the actual written examination, pick up a copy of the latest AR driver’s manual from the nearest driver services center. Take the practice permit test in the manual. This will help you to pass the actual written examination.

Test Day

On the actual day that you take the permit test, pay the $5 permit test fee. You or your parents or legal guardians are required to provide proof of liability auto insurance before you take the permit test. Proof of liability auto insurance is also required before you take the road test and receive your drivers license.

Persons between the ages of 14 and 16 years receive an instruction permit. Instruction permits expire after six months. After you turn 16 years old, you will receive an intermediate permit. Intermediate permits are good until you turn 18 years old. After you turn 18 years old, return to the nearest transportation office and schedule your road test so that you can receive your regular AR drivers license.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "What are the AR driving permit test requirements?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

No users have voted.

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

DMVAnswers.com (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. DMVAnswers.com does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on DMVAnswers.com is not legal advice, DMVAnswers.com is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.