How do you replace or renew learners permits in Massachusetts? Massachusetts

Replace or Renew Massachusetts Permits

Renew a Driving Permit

If your two-year MA learners permit has expired you'll need to renew the permit it by taking and passing the written test again. Just like the first time you took the test you'll need to prepare by studying the state's drivers license manual. This can be downloaded from the RMV website. Or, if you prefer a hardcopy, visit any RMV office.

After studying, gauge your exam-readiness by taking at least one practice permit test. These tests abound online, allowing you to take as many as you deem necessary.

When you feel you're ready for the test visit any RMV office with:

  • Proper identification.
  • A completed Class D, M, or D/M License and ID Card Application. This can be downloaded from the RMV website.
  • Cash or a check or credit card (MasterCard, American Express, Visa, Discover) to pay the $30 renewal fee.

Replace a Learners Permit

You'll need to apply for a duplicate learners permit if your original permit is lost or stolen. This requires visiting any RMV office with:

  • Proper identification.
  • Cash or a check or credit card (Visa, Discover, MasterCard, American Express) to pay the $15 duplicate driving permit fee.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "How do you replace or renew learners permits in Massachusetts?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

66% thumbs up 33% thumbs down (3 votes)

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

Continue (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on is not legal advice, is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.