How do you replace or renew learners permits in North Carolina? North Carolina

Renew a Learners Permit

In NC, the drivers permit will expire on your 18th birthday. If you are not yet ready to take the drivers license behind-the-wheel test, you may apply for a new permit at a DMV office. You may not renew a permit.

When you head to the DMV, you will have to:

  1. Show proof of identity.
  2. Retake the written test to get a new permit. If the last time you took this test was a few years ago, you should take a practice permit test to refresh your memory and study the Driver’s Manual.
You will not have to get your parents’ permission, however.

Replace a Lost Permit

Permits may be replaced by going to a North Carolina DMV office in person or by using an online application.

In Person

  1. Bring two forms of ID with you, such as a state ID, a birth certificate, or a passport. A school ID may also suffice.
  2. Pay $10.


  1. Go to the NC DMV website and click on the Duplicate License link.
  2. Have your Social Security number and your permit number handy.
  3. Get a PIN from the DMV.
  4. Pay $10 with Visa or MasterCard.
The driving permit will expire when you turn 18.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "How do you replace or renew learners permits in North Carolina?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

100% thumbs up 0% thumbs down (1 vote)

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

Continue (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on is not legal advice, is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.