How do you replace or renew learners permits in Pennsylvania? Pennsylvania

Renewing and Replacing a Pennsylvania Learners Permit

If your Pennsylvania (PA) drivers permit expires before you pass the written examination, you can renew the permit. Also, you can replace the permit if it becomes lost or damaged.

To renew or replace your PA driving permit, visit the nearest Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) service center.

Renewed learners permits are good for one year.

Complete Form DL-31 to replace your learners permit. Fill in details on the form including:

  • Your first and last name.
  • Your home address (including street, city, state and zip code).
  • Your telephone number.
  • Your date of birth.
  • The reason you need the permit replaced (i.e. original permit damaged, lost).
If you are younger than18 years old, your parents will have to sign Form DL-31 stating that they approve of you replacing your learners permit.

PennDOT will issue you the replaced or renewed permit while you are at the service center. It cost $5 to replace or to renew a PA learners permit. Pay fees by making out a check or money order to PennDOT.

Should you choose to do so, you can mail money orders or checks to:

P.O. Box 68272
Harrisburg, PA 17106-8272

You do not have to study the practice permit test or retake the written examination to replace or renew the permit. Be sure to renew or replace your permit before it’s time to test for your drivers license.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "How do you replace or renew learners permits in Pennsylvania?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

100% thumbs up 0% thumbs down (6 votes)

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

Continue (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on is not legal advice, is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.