How do you replace or renew learners permits in Wisconsin? Wisconsin

In Wisconsin, it is against the law to drive without a valid learners permit or drivers license in your possession.

Replacing a Learners Permit

Although adult drivers are allowed to request a duplicate license online, teen drivers who need to obtain a duplicate learners permit must visit a drivers license office in person.

To obtain a duplicate driving permit, you will need to again show driver education course completion certificate or proof of current enrollment in the behind-the-wheel portion of a driver education course. You will also need to submit sponsorship forms from a parent, guardian, or approved adult before you will be allowed to pay the $14 fee to receive your duplicate permit.

Because your drivers permit is used as legal identification, the information it contains should be accurate. You can change your name or address when receiving a duplicate permit, although you will need to bring documents supporting the change in information.

Renewing a Driving Permit

You must have your permit with no traffic convictions for at least six months before applying for a probationary license. If you are over age 18, you must have your drivers permit for at least seven days before applying for a probationary license.

Your driving permit is valid for 12 months. If you are not able to obtain a probationary license in within this timeframe, you may choose to renew your learners permit by visiting a drivers license office and paying the $35 renewal fee.

Retesting is not required for renewal of a permits unless your learners permit has been expired for more than eight years. If you do need to retake the written knowledge test, you can find practice permit test questions in the driver handbook published by the WI Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "How do you replace or renew learners permits in Wisconsin?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

100% thumbs up 0% thumbs down (1 vote)

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

Continue (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on is not legal advice, is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.