How do I update my Colorado driver license if I currently have an expired license? Colorado

Colorado Reinstate License Process

If it’s been expired for less than one year, you can still renew your license without having to take a written test or a license test. The state gives you three renewal options: online, by mail, and in person.

It's best to renew as quickly as possible. You will receive a traffic ticket and be fined if caught driving with an expired license.

Online License Renewal

You cannot use this option if you renewed last time by mail or online. You can find the online renewal application on the DMV website. To use it, you'll need to provide:

  • Your Colorado drivers license number.
  • Your date of birth.
  • The last four digits of Social Security number.
  • A valid credit card (American Express, Visa, MasterCard).
  • A valid E-mail address.

Renew Driver License by Mail

You can only renew by mail if you possess a spotless driving record and did not use the mail option during your last renewal.

To obtain a mail application either print one from the DMV website or request by phone. You'll then need to complete the application and mail it, along with a check, to the address listed on the application.

Renew an Expired License In Person

You must use this option if testing is required. You'll first need to pass the written test. When you arrive at the DMV, have with you:

  • Your Social Security number.
  • Proof of CO residency.
  • Proof of lawful presence.
  • Payment for the $14 permit fee.
If you pass, you'll next need to arrange for a road test appointment. On the day of the road test, you must bring:

  • Your permit.
  • A working vehicle with valid registration and insurance.
  • Payment for the $21 driver license fee. 
If you pass, you'll receive a temporary license until your permanent drivers license arrives in the mail within about four weeks.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "How do I update my Colorado driver license if I currently have an expired license?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

No users have voted.

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

Continue (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on is not legal advice, is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.