Last Updated 10th of July, 2010
What documents are required to obtain an Iowa drivers license? Iowa
Required Documents for an Iowa Driver LicenseWhen applying for an IA drivers license, you must present to a DOT agent the following documents:
- Proof of age and identity. An Iowa ID card will suffice. If you don't own an ID card, you'll need to provide two forms of identification, with one from Iowa's primary identity document list and one form from its secondary list. Visit the DOT website for a list of accepted ID.
- Proof of your Social Security number.
- Proof of Iowa residency.
NOTE: Proof of drivers education is not required for applicants 18 or older.
Taking the Vision Exam and Knowledge License TestDuring the application process, you'll also need to take a vision screening and a knowledge exam. You'll need to pass both before taking the driving test.
To prepare for the written exam, study the state's drivers manual. All test questions are based on information addressed in the manual, including road sign identification, skid prevention, and space management. You can grab a hardcopy from any DOT office, or by downloading from the DOT website.
After that, take a practice test or two to give yourself a feel for what to expect when you take the real thing.
Taking the Driving TestMost DOT test locations administer the driving test on a first-come-first-serve basis. There are, however, some that require an appointment. Call ahead before arriving for test information.
When you arrive at the test site, have:
- A working vehicle with proof of registration.
- Proof of valid car insurance.
- Another licensed driver in case you fail.
No visitor comments posted. Post a comment
Post Comment for "What documents are required to obtain an Iowa drivers license?"
To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.
No users have voted.
How would you rate this answer?
Thank you for rating this answer.