Last Updated 25th of June, 2010
Do I have to take drivers ed or driver training to get a Maine driver license? Maine
Drivers Education and Maine Drivers LicenseOnly driver license applicants younger than 18 must complete a drivers ed class. It must be with a BMV-approved school for the driver training completion certificate to be honored.
Apply for a ME Instruction PermitTo apply, you must submit, by mail, the following:
- A Non-Commercial Class C Application. This must be signed by a parent or guardian if you’re younger than 18.
- Proof of completing a driver education class, if you’re younger than 18.
- Proof of legal presence.
- Proof of Maine residency.
- Proof of identity and age. If you’re younger than 23, you must provide your original birth certificate (the BMV will return it). Notarized copies will not be accepted.
- A check or money order made payable to the Secretary of State for $10.
Bureau of Motor Vehicles
Driver License Services Division
29 State House St.
Augusta, ME 04333-0029
Upon receiving, the BMV will set a test appointment for the written and vision tests.
To prepare for the written test, study the state's drivers manual, while giving extra focus to the section on drinking and driving. You should also take at least one practice test. These online exams feature questions similar to those on the actual permit test, allowing you to accurately gauge if you're test-ready.
If you pass, you'll be issued an instruction permit. You must hold it for six months if you’re younger 21. Otherwise, you can apply for a Maine driver license immediately by arranging for a road test appointment.
Apply for Maine Drivers LicenseYou'll need to make a test appointment by submitting a road test request form (provided by the BMV). You'll then be alerted of a license test date and location.
On the day of your driving test, bring the following:
- Your instruction permit.
- The appointment notice.
- A vehicle that's legally registered and inspected.
- Another licensed driver.
No visitor comments posted. Post a comment
Post Comment for "Do I have to take drivers ed or driver training to get a Maine driver license?"
To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.
No users have voted.
How would you rate this answer?
Thank you for rating this answer.