Last Updated 28th of June, 2010
Do I have to take a license test or driving test to obtain a MD drivers license?
License Test for an MD Drivers LicenseIf you're applying for a Maryland drivers license for the first time you will need to pass a license test. But before you can take the driving test, you must first meet the state's permit requirements.
Apply for a Maryland Driving PermitAll driver license applicants, regardless of age, must first hold either a Type 1 permit (new driver license applicants) or a Type 2 permit (previously held a drivers license).
Before applying, you'll first need to prepare for the written test by studying the state's drivers manual. All questions on the written test are directly based on information addressed in the manual, including passing procedures, drinking and driving, and road sign identification. You can grab a manual from any MVA office, or by downloading from the MVA website.
After studying the manual, you'll next want to take some practice tests. These can be found online. The questions on a practice test are similar to those on the actual permit exam, allowing you to accurately assess if you're test ready.
When you're ready to take the permit test, visit any full-service MVA office with:
- Proof of legal presence.
- Proof of MD residency.
- Proof of identity and age.
- Social Security number or proof of ineligibility.
- Payment for $50 or $30 if you previously held a license.
Holding a MD Permit
Type 1 Permit
Before you can take license test you must:
- Hold the permit for a minimum of six months.
- Complete a state-approved driver education class.
- Accumulate a minimum of 60 hours of supervised driving.
Type 2 Permit
Before you can take the test you must hold the permit for a minimum of 14 days.
Taking the License TestSchedule a test appointment by calling (888) 212-4709. On the day of your test arrive with:
- Your MD permit.
- A working vehicle with proof of registration.
- A licensed driver.
- Proof of driver education (if applicable).
- Your 60-Hour Practice and Skills Log (if applicable).
- A Three-Hour Alcohol and Drug Education Program certificate (if applicable).
No visitor comments posted. Post a comment
Post Comment for "Do I have to take a license test or driving test to obtain a MD drivers license?"
To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.
No users have voted.
How would you rate this answer?
Thank you for rating this answer.