How do I update my Minnesota driver license if I currently have an expired license? Minnesota

License Renewal for an Expired License

If your MN drivers license has been expired for more than one year, but fewer than five years, you will be required to pass a written test and a visual screening. If your license has been expired five years or longer, you may be required to take the driving portion of the license test.

Be sure to renew your license as soon as possible to avoid penalties such as a traffic ticket and fines.

How to Reinstate License

Visit any DVS location and complete a license renewal application. You'll need to provide:

  • Either your Minnesota driver license or ID card.
  • Your Social Security number.
  • Proof of name change, if applicable. Accepted documents include certified marriage certificate, certified divorce decree, or a court order proving your name change.
  • Cash or a check or money to pay the $24 driver license fee. 
If you must take the written test, be sure to prepare by studying the state's drivers manual. All of the test questions are based on information contained in the manual, including highway driving, proper passing techniques, and road sign identification. You can grab a manual from any DVS location, or by downloading from the DVS website.

You'll also want to take at least one practice test to accurately assess if you're prepared for the actual permit exam.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "How do I update my Minnesota driver license if I currently have an expired license?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

100% thumbs up 0% thumbs down (1 vote)

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

Continue (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on is not legal advice, is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.