How do I apply for a drivers license if I am relocating to Mississippi? Mississippi

Relocating to Mississippi

When you’re moving to MS, one of the first things you should do as a new resident is get a drivers license.

Today MS generally does not require a new resident to take a written license test or driving test to transfer a driver license.

To get a new driver license, visit the DPS office nearest you. Bring:

  • Your old state license.
  • Your Social Security card.
  • $21 in cash.
  • Proof of MS residency. Mortgage papers, a bank statement with your address, utility bills, or pay stubs are all possibilities.

Taking the Written Test

Again, relocation to MS means you don’t have to take the written test or driving test, provided your old drivers license has not expired. If your drivers license has expired, then expect to take the written test at least.

The MS DPS also reserves the right to ask you to take these tests, if they have reason to suspect you need to brush up on your traffic knowledge or skills.

If you need to take the written license test, you should go home and read the MS Drivers Manual. Then take a practice test to see if you know the answers well enough to pass. The most convenient way to practice is with a practice test from an online drivers ed website.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "How do I apply for a drivers license if I am relocating to Mississippi?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

No users have voted.

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

Continue (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on is not legal advice, is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.