Can a spouse register the car if I am out of town?

Call your local DMV office for a definitive answer regarding can a spouse register the car. Each state follows different registration renewal policies. You'll find many states will allow someone beside yourself to register your vehicle for you. But before doing so, make sure your spouse knows what documents are required.

In Florida, for example, your spouse will need to provide proof of insurance, a copy of your current registration certificate or registration renewal notice, and sufficient fees. Whereas in New York, your spouse (or what New York refers to as a "second party") must bring photo ID of you and of him or her, as well as all necessary forms completed and signed by you. 

To learn your state's car registration requirements, contact your local DMV office. An agent will instruct you on what's required (if allowed, of course). Or, if you prefer, visit your state's DMV Web site. Because this is a common question, most sites address this with detailed information.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "Can a spouse register the car if I am out of town?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

No users have voted.

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

Continue (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on is not legal advice, is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.