How do I apply for a drivers license if I am relocating to Montana? Montana

Relocating to MT: New Resident License Requirements

After moving to Montana and establishing permanent relocation, you have 60 days to obtain a Montana drivers license. To apply, visit any MVD office with:

  • Proof of identity.
  • Proof of Montana residency.
  • Proof of lawful presence.
  • Payment for driver license fee that's contingent on age.
If you have a valid out-of-state license, the driver examiner may waive the written and driving tests. You will still, however, have to pass a vision screening.

If You're Required to Take Each License Test

Written License Test

To prepare, study the state's drivers manual. All of the written test questions are based on information contained in the manual, including space management, avoiding collisions, and drinking and driving. You can grab a hardcopy from any MVD location, or by downloading from the MVD website.

Next, take at least one practice test. These online exams feature questions similar to those on the actual test, giving you good insight on what to expect.  

Driving License Test

You will need an appointment if you test at any one of the following driver examination sites: Billings, Bozeman, Columbus, Hardin, Helena, Missoula, Red Lodge, Superior, or Townsend. Otherwise, driving tests, at all other locations, are given on a first-come-first-serve basis.

When you arrive, have:

  • Proof of identity.
  • Proof of Montana residency.
  • Proof of lawful presence.
  • A working vehicle.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "How do I apply for a drivers license if I am relocating to Montana?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

No users have voted.

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

Continue (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on is not legal advice, is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.