Last Updated 1st of July, 2010
What documents are required to obtain a New Mexico drivers license? New Mexico
Documents Required to Get a New Mexico Drivers LicenseRequired documents that you must bring to the nearest Motor Vehicles Division (MVD) before you receive your New Mexico (NM) drivers license vary according to your age. If you have a valid out-of-state driver license the documents that you are required to bring to the MVD will also vary.
Residents Younger than 18 Years Old
Teens who are younger than 18 years old must:
- Receive an instructional permit from the MVD (if you are 15 years old, you have to keep the permit for at least six months before you apply to receive your drivers license).
- Possess a certificate of completion from a driver education course that is approved by the NM Traffic Safety Bureau (approved driver training vendors are listed at the MVD website under Maps and Locations).
Residents 18 Years of Age and Older
NM Residents between the ages of 18 and 24 years are required to submit a certificate of completion for a “None for the Road” course to the MVD. The course educates drivers on the legal and personal impact of driving under the influence.
Dial (877) 663-7465 to make an appointment to take the course. You can register for the course Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m. The University of New Mexico administers the MVD approved course. Drivers who relocate to NM must also take the “None for the Road” course.
If you are 25 years and older, you can take the “None for the Road” course or another driving under the influence course. Submit a course completion certificate to the MVD clerk when you apply to receive your NM driver’s license.
Documents and Other Requirements for All Residents
Provide two documents to the MVD clerk that proves your identity and your residency. Acceptable documents that prove your identity are:
- Social Security card
- United States military photo identification card
- Birth certificate
- Official United States citizenship or naturalization certificates
- Recent utility bills (i.e. gas, electric, water)
- Mortgage or rental lease agreement documents
- Bank statement
- Motor vehicle registration card
Take a practice test based on data in the manual so you are prepared to pass the driving test. You can download a driver’s manual off the MVD website.
No visitor comments posted. Post a comment
Post Comment for "What documents are required to obtain a New Mexico drivers license?"
To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.
No users have voted.
How would you rate this answer?
Thank you for rating this answer.