What documents are required to obtain a New Mexico drivers license? New Mexico

Documents Required to Get a New Mexico Drivers License

Required documents that you must bring to the nearest Motor Vehicles Division (MVD) before you receive your New Mexico (NM) drivers license vary according to your age. If you have a valid out-of-state driver license the documents that you are required to bring to the MVD will also vary.

Residents Younger than 18 Years Old

Teens who are younger than 18 years old must:

  • Receive an instructional permit from the MVD (if you are 15 years old, you have to keep the permit for at least six months before you apply to receive your drivers license).
  • Possess a certificate of completion from a driver education course that is approved by the NM Traffic Safety Bureau (approved driver training vendors are listed at the MVD website under Maps and Locations).
Teens younger than 18 years old are required to complete a driver training log before they take the license test. Write down the date and times that you practice driving in the log. You must practice driving at night and during the day for at least 50 hours to get your license.

Residents 18 Years of Age and Older

NM Residents between the ages of 18 and 24 years are required to submit a certificate of completion for a “None for the Road” course to the MVD. The course educates drivers on the legal and personal impact of driving under the influence.

Dial (877) 663-7465 to make an appointment to take the course. You can register for the course Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m. The University of New Mexico administers the MVD approved course. Drivers who relocate to NM must also take the “None for the Road” course.

If you are 25 years and older, you can take the “None for the Road” course or another driving under the influence course. Submit a course completion certificate to the MVD clerk when you apply to receive your NM driver’s license.

Documents and Other Requirements for All Residents

Provide two documents to the MVD clerk that proves your identity and your residency. Acceptable documents that prove your identity are:

  • Social Security card
  • United States military photo identification card
  • Birth certificate
  • Official United States citizenship or naturalization certificates
Acceptable documents that prove your residency are:

  • Recent utility bills (i.e. gas, electric, water)
  • Mortgage or rental lease agreement documents
  • Bank statement
  • Motor vehicle registration card
All NM residents (except drivers who relocate to the state with a valid out-of-state license) are required to complete a driving test before they receive their drivers license. Study a NM driver’s manual.

Take a practice test based on data in the manual so you are prepared to pass the driving test. You can download a driver’s manual off the MVD website.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "What documents are required to obtain a New Mexico drivers license?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

No users have voted.

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

DMVAnswers.com (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. DMVAnswers.com does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on DMVAnswers.com is not legal advice, DMVAnswers.com is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.