If I buy an out of state car which state's sales tax is applicable?

You will pay the sales tax based on wherever the car was bought. So, for example, if you live in Ohio but buy your car in Pennsylvania, you will pay the Pennsylvania sales tax rate. This applies to both new car and used car purchases.

However, here's where it gets tricky. Depending on where you live, your state's motor vehicle agency may require you to provide a receipt showing the sales tax you paid. If it's less than what you would have paid in your home state, you may have to pay the difference in order to get your license plates or title your car.

Keep in mind that sales tax can differ by state, county, and city. You should always calculate the sales tax on your car purchase as it can make a significant difference. If you're unsure about the prevailing tax rates, call the dealer and ask for this information.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "If I buy an out of state car which state's sales tax is applicable?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

63% thumbs up 36% thumbs down (22 votes)

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

DMVAnswers.com (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. DMVAnswers.com does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on DMVAnswers.com is not legal advice, DMVAnswers.com is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.