How do I apply for a drivers license if I am relocating to South Carolina? South Carolina

According to the South Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), you do not need to apply for a new drivers license unless you are a permanent South Carolina resident.

Military personnel, dependents of military personnel, and out-of-state students attending South Carolina schools are not considered permanent residents because they are thought to have a temporary relocation.

If you are a new resident, you have 90 days from relocating to update your drivers license.

Applying for a SC Drivers License

To apply for your drivers license after moving to South Carolina, you will need to visit a DMV office with documents that prove:

  • Your name, birth date, and citizenship.
  • Your Social Security number.
  • Your residency.
All documents must be originals and written in English. Please contact a SC DMV representative if you need assistance finding a qualified translator for your identification documents.

It is against the law to have a driver license in more than one state, so you will need to surrender your out-of-state license before being issued a South Carolina drivers license.

A vision exam is required of all applicants to make sure you can see well enough to drive safely. You will not need to take the written license test or the driving test unless your drivers license from your home state is expired or you do not currently have a drivers license. If you do need to take the written license test, you can find practice test questions in the state's driver handbook.

In South Carolina, driver licenses are issued for 10 years and expire on your birthday.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "How do I apply for a drivers license if I am relocating to South Carolina?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

100% thumbs up 0% thumbs down (3 votes)

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

Continue (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on is not legal advice, is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.