How do I update my Tennessee driver license if I currently have an expired license? Tennessee

Update Your Expired Tennessee Driver License

If you have an expired license you will need to visit a Tennessee Department of Safety (TN DOS) driver licensing station. A list of driver licensing stations is at the DOS website. Visit one quickly, as driving without a valid TN drivers license could cause you to receive a traffic ticket and fines.

Provide proof of residency, citizenship, and identity to complete the reinstate license process.

Documents that prove your citizenship and identity include your:

  • Birth certificate
  • Valid United States passport
  • Official naturalization or citizenship certificates (i.e. N550, N560)
Acceptable documents that you can use to prove you are a resident of TN so that you can finalize the license renewal process and receive your new TN drivers license are:

  • Recent utility bill
  • Bank statement
  • Pay stub
  • TN voter registration card

License Expired for Six Months or Longer?

If your TN driver license is expired for six or more months, take and pass the vision screening and the written examination. You will also be required to retake the driving portion of the license test.

Pay the driver license fee and have your photo taken at the driver licensing center so that you can receive your driver license. TN driver licenses expire after five years.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "How do I update my Tennessee driver license if I currently have an expired license?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

50% thumbs up 50% thumbs down (2 votes)

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

Continue (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on is not legal advice, is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.