How do I update my Washington driver license if I currently have an expired license? Washington

License Renewal for an Expired License in Washington

If your drivers license is expired longer than five years, you will be required to retake the knowledge and driving tests. Otherwise, the license renewal process for an expired license is rather straightforward.

Keep in mind that it is illegal to drive with an expired drivers license, regardless if it's been expired for one day or one year. If stopped, you will, at the very least, receive a traffic ticket.

Expired License: Fewer than Five Years

Visit any WA DOL office with:

  • Proper identification.
  • Cash or a check to pay the $25 driver license renewal fee and a $10 late reinstate license fee.
You'll also be required to pass a vision screening.

Expired License: Five Years or More

You will need to reapply for a drivers license, requiring passing all three tests: vision, knowledge, and driving.

Before applying for a new driver license with the DOL, you'll need to prepare for the knowledge test by studying the state's drivers manual and taking at least one online practice test.

When you arrive at the DOL to apply and test, have with you:

  • Proof of identity.  
  • Proof of your Social Security number.
  • Cash or a check to pay all applicable fees.
If you pass the vision screening and knowledge exam you'll become immediately eligible for the driving test. To take, you'll need to make a license test appointment with a driver licensing office. When you arrive for the driving test, have with you:

  • A vehicle in good working condition.
  • Proof of car insurance.
  • Another licensed driver.
If you pass, you'll be issued a temporary driver license. Your permanent license should arrive in the mail in about 10 days.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "How do I update my Washington driver license if I currently have an expired license?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

No users have voted.

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

Continue (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on is not legal advice, is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.