How do I apply for a drivers license if I am relocating to Wisconsin? Wisconsin

Relocating to WI: Applying for a Drivers License

After moving and establishing permanent relocation in Wisconsin, the state gives you 60 days to obtain a new drivers license. To apply, visit your local DMV office with:

  • A completed Wisconsin Driver License (DL)/Identification Card (ID) Application (Form MV3001).
  • Proof of identity.
  • Proof of name and date of birth.
  • Proof of Wisconsin residency.
  • Proof of your Social Security number.
  • Your out-of-state drivers license, which you must surrender.
  • Cash or a check to pay all applicable fees.
During the application process you'll be required to pass a vision screening and answer medical questions. You may, depending on any existing medical conditions, be asked to have your doctor provide more information and/or be asked to take the state's knowledge and road tests.

Wisconsin Knowledge Test and/or License Test

As a new resident, you will be asked to take both tests if:

  • Your out-of-state drivers license has been expired for more than eight years.
  • You have a medical condition that could hamper your ability to drive safely. 
To prepare for the knowledge test you'll need to study the DMV driver license handbook. All questions are based on material covered in the handbook, including winter driving, use of headlights, and road sign identification. You can obtain a handbook from any DMV office, or by downloading from the DMV website.

After studying the handbook, you'll next want to take at least one practice test. These online exams feature questions similar in style and content to those on the actual test, allowing you to gauge if you're test-prepared.

After passing the knowledge test you'll become immediately eligible to take the license test. An appointment with your local DMV service center is required.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "How do I apply for a drivers license if I am relocating to Wisconsin?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

100% thumbs up 0% thumbs down (1 vote)

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

Continue (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on is not legal advice, is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.