How do I obtain a salvage title in Alabama? Alabama

Apply for an Alabama Salvage Title

A salvage title is a special type of vehicle title issued after used cars are involved in traffic accidents or sustain enough damage to declare them a total loss. Once a salvage title has been issued for a vehicle, it can't legally be driven on Alabama roads. In addition, the salvage title will appear on the vehicle history report (VHR) whenever a potential buyer requests to know the vehicle history.

Form MVT 41-1, Application for Salvage Certificate of Title is available on the AL Motor Vehicle Division (MVD) website. (You’ll deal with the MVD, rather than the DPS, when you’re handling transactions for your car’s title and registration.)

If you had a loan when you purchased your vehicle, please keep in mind that the lienholder information should be completed only when there is an outstanding lien on the car. If the lien recorded on the certificate of title has been satisfied, a lien release must be provided, unless the lien is directly released on the certificate of title.

Salvage titles carry a $15 application fee. Payment must be via certified check or money order. Cash or personal checks will not be accepted.

Now What?

Salvage vehicles are most often sold for parts or to be restored. You may try to repair the vehicle yourself and apply for a rebuilt auto certificate of title so the vehicle can once again be registered and legally driven. (Keep in mind you might need to show a bill or sale or other receipt for all parts used to rebuild the vehicle.)

However, if you wish to do this, you will first need to obtain a rebuilder's license. Only a licensed rebuilder can request the rebuilt auto inspection that is needed to make sure a salvage vehicle was safely rebuilt without the use of stolen parts.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "How do I obtain a salvage title in Alabama?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

No users have voted.

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

Continue (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on is not legal advice, is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.